+ Reply to Thread

Thread: putting set into new epee blade

Forum Rabbit hmai18 is on a distinguished road
    Ottawa, Canada : Carleton University Fencing Club

Default putting set into new epee blade

I'm about to put together a new weapon and had a few reservations my ability to put a set into the blade. In fact, I had a dream about it last night where I put a set into the blade and managed to snap off the tang.

Anyway, does it take much pressure or force to do it?

Any other tips or guidelines for doing this?

Handy Andy Andy has much to be proud ofAndy has much to be proud ofAndy has much to be proud ofAndy has much to be proud ofAndy has much to be proud ofAndy has much to be proud ofAndy has much to be proud ofAndy has much to be proud of

http://www.leonpaul.com/shop/armoury...ee_armoruy.htm

This should help you.

A.

BTW - LP webmaster please note that the anchor names you have in this page are all the same as the foil ones (i.e. http://www.leonpaul.com/shop/armoury...htm#Foil_Tools where it should be http://........#Epee_Tools and then change the links to relate to the new anchors [Yes people have told me that I have issues already ])

Thanks, but I've already been to the armoury section. I wanted to know if there was anything else to doing it.

Last thing I want to do is snap by blade at the tang.

A wild and crazy man Rdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud of Rdb811's Avatar

That would be impressive.

Senior Member stevejackson will become famous soon enough

Somewhere on this forum we've discussed setting blades before. I seem to recall the concensus ( excluding me) was grip the tang in a securely mounted vice and heave. if you can don't tighten the vice completely but leave the tang loose to allow the bend to spread over a length of the tang rather than trying to concentrate it at one point.

My method requires the use of a long ring spanner looped over the tang and is done by lying the blade along the forearm and applying pressure. Same result but less kit to lug about with you.

Yes you could snap the tang, but I have only done so three times in 20 years and several hundred attempts.
    Steve J

fixing broken stuff! wingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud of wingnutLP's Avatar

You are very unlikley to snap the tang so you can sleep easy at night!

In general maraging blades are much harder to set than non maraging and require a lot of force to get even a small bend. I often put my foot on the edge of the table next to the vice so that I have something to push against!

If it does break and it is a brand new LP blade we will replace it.

Handy Andy Andy has much to be proud ofAndy has much to be proud ofAndy has much to be proud ofAndy has much to be proud ofAndy has much to be proud ofAndy has much to be proud ofAndy has much to be proud ofAndy has much to be proud of

If it breaks at the exact point where the tang meets the blade, it's a simple job to braze them back together, as it was most likely a poor joint to begin with, I've been told it happens all the time with one brand of sabre blades (not LP - but I can't remember for sure, so I won't say).

Hope that helps

Nice of LP to replace them if it breaks!

A.

Chris Howser cesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond repute cesh_fencing's Avatar

Quick hint for setting blades...

Warm the blade before you start. I have found that if you leave the blade on a warm radiator prior to setting it, that 1) it is easier to bend and 2) it is less lightly to snap (and I have set alot of blades over the last 20+ years)...

I guess some techy metolgist will come in with the tech stuff but it does seem to help...

In addition, have blade tight in a vice and use a short metal pipe(copper water pipe works well) over the tang and use the pipe to make the set..

However the best way to get a blade set is to ask your supplier to set it prior to you getting it. Any decent supplier, if you ask, will set it as a general right or left set, most shops are run by fencers and know what a suitable set is... If you then need to tweek it to your perfection, it is much less risky.

Duellist have Ian, Blades (sorry Allstar/Uhlman UK) have Graham and Leon Paul have Barry, Graham and others who are or have been good class fencers, so will know how much to set blades before you get them. But you must ask!!!

As per most things in life, if you don't ask for it to be done, it will not be done... Have fun.....

Well, I finally got around to doing it last night, and while it wasn't the best set I've ever seen, it wasn't bad for my first one. It's at about the same angle as my All-star one now. I'll probably have better luck when I set my second LP blade at some point this season.

Barry, would you care to comment on the "set from the manufacturer" thing? Is it something that could be done in my next order?

+ Reply to Thread