+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does swordfish taste like?

Senior Member nessyfencer is a jewel in the roughnessyfencer is a jewel in the roughnessyfencer is a jewel in the roughnessyfencer is a jewel in the rough nessyfencer's Avatar

Default What does swordfish taste like?

I'm about to find out, that's my supper tonight. Anyone tried it?
    "Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose... it's how drunk you get."

Senior Member Marcos has much to be proud ofMarcos has much to be proud ofMarcos has much to be proud ofMarcos has much to be proud ofMarcos has much to be proud ofMarcos has much to be proud ofMarcos has much to be proud ofMarcos has much to be proud ofMarcos has much to be proud of Marcos's Avatar

lovely

quite a meaty texture and yummy

Sweet and Fluffy Boo Boo has a brilliant futureBoo Boo has a brilliant futureBoo Boo has a brilliant futureBoo Boo has a brilliant futureBoo Boo has a brilliant futureBoo Boo has a brilliant futureBoo Boo has a brilliant futureBoo Boo has a brilliant futureBoo Boo has a brilliant futureBoo Boo has a brilliant futureBoo Boo has a brilliant future Boo Boo's Avatar

Agreed. It has a firm, meaty texture (like a tuna steak). Has a nice, but not overpowering, taste.

You see it a lot in the Med, but not very often in the UK.

Boo
    Smarter than the average bear!

Village idiot D'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant future D'Artignan's Avatar

You're asking for trouble, nessy. Don't you remember your "Mangoes" thread?
    Threadkiller extraordinaire...

http://www.scottish-fencing.com/

EniEnigmagma JulianRose is a splendid one to beholdJulianRose is a splendid one to beholdJulianRose is a splendid one to beholdJulianRose is a splendid one to beholdJulianRose is a splendid one to beholdJulianRose is a splendid one to beholdJulianRose is a splendid one to behold JulianRose's Avatar

fish but meaty
    Chair of Sabre Committee for British Fencing

Senior Member nessyfencer is a jewel in the roughnessyfencer is a jewel in the roughnessyfencer is a jewel in the roughnessyfencer is a jewel in the rough nessyfencer's Avatar

mmm... was really nice. Noticed the similar tuna steak texture.
    "Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose... it's how drunk you get."

Originally posted by D'Artignan
    You're asking for trouble, nessy. Don't you remember your "Mangoes" thread?
    Just following on the theme

Senior Member Moppet is a jewel in the roughMoppet is a jewel in the roughMoppet is a jewel in the rough Moppet's Avatar

i love swordfish
    but i hate meat, being a veggie. Weird that, cos the texture is kinda like meat, rather than fish.
    Smarties fruits?! What the...?! Skittles! Accept *no* substitutes!!!

Senior Member bufc99 is a name known to allbufc99 is a name known to allbufc99 is a name known to allbufc99 is a name known to allbufc99 is a name known to allbufc99 is a name known to all bufc99's Avatar

Had it many years ago. I agree with the kind of meaty texture like tuna steak. Very nice. Also had shark the next night. Mum used to do the admin stuff for a restaurant so occaisionally came home with these things.

One of the nicest random things I've had though was Wild Boar. Not from the restaurant but from a little butchers in Diss near-ish (10-15miles) from where I live.

Senior Member 27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold 27ab1c's Avatar

A bit late now, I know, but I think it's a bit bland.
    Hope you enjoyed it anyway, nessyfencer.

Senior Member Adler is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Moppet
    i love swordfish
    but i hate meat, being a veggie. Weird that, cos the texture is kinda like meat, rather than fish.
    Ah yes.......swordfish relative of the Aubergine.

Moderator Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute Gav's Avatar

It tastes of F-ing Swordfish! What would someone expect? That it tastes like a carrot?

If you weren't a nice guy I might get properly annoyed.

I hear that Swordfish is one of the more 'unethical' fish to eat. I'm not up on the current state of fish stocks but if so try not to eat it all the time. Or get used to not eating it at all.

I love swordfish by the way - it's ace. A guilty pleasure if the rumours of it's imminent population collapse is correct.

And it's wierd that a 'veggie' would like fish. It's a dead animal - it doesn't get pulled out of the ground.
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

Chief code monkey rory has a reputation beyond reputerory has a reputation beyond reputerory has a reputation beyond reputerory has a reputation beyond reputerory has a reputation beyond reputerory has a reputation beyond reputerory has a reputation beyond reputerory has a reputation beyond reputerory has a reputation beyond reputerory has a reputation beyond reputerory has a reputation beyond repute rory's Avatar

And it's wierd that a 'veggie' would like fish. It's a dead animal - it doesn't get pulled out of the ground.
    If I bury it, then dig it up, is that OK?

Oh yeah, and you're right, it is weird
    (And that's "weird", not "wierd", btw!)

Senior Member Marcos has much to be proud ofMarcos has much to be proud ofMarcos has much to be proud ofMarcos has much to be proud ofMarcos has much to be proud ofMarcos has much to be proud ofMarcos has much to be proud ofMarcos has much to be proud ofMarcos has much to be proud of Marcos's Avatar

Originally posted by Adler
    Ah yes.......swordfish relative of the Aubergine.
    what kind of meat does aubergine taste like?????

on the subject of unethical fish, Cod is one of the worst - Birds Eye launched a Hoki fish finger to move people away from Cod (and it happens to be cheaper) - but avoid Cod where possible (hake & haddock are nicer anyway)
    Attack, and you will be parried
    Parry, and you will be deceived

Fencing in Ireland: www.irishfencing.net

Member Xev has a spectacular aura aboutXev has a spectacular aura about Xev's Avatar

Originally posted by Gav
    I hear that Swordfish is one of the more 'unethical' fish to eat. I'm not up on the current state of fish stocks but if so try not to eat it all the time. Or get used to not eating it at all.
    I don't think that's it necessarily one of the endangered ones, but you're advised not to eat too much of it as high levels of mercury can be found in that particular type of fish (as with marlin and shark). I think they advise that you don't eat it more than once a week, and children and pregnant women shouldn't eat it at all...

But it is definitely a gorgeous tasting fish!
    Cask ales and ciders and wine, oh my!

Moderator Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute Gav's Avatar

It's not that it is endangered - not in the North Atlantic anyway. I did a little research and it appears that swordfish stocks are close to collapse in several parts of the world. In general the fish is not being hunted sustainably. North Atlantic fish stock numbers are out of date and current research is attempting to bring current knowkedge up to date.
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Originally posted by Gav
    ...it appears that swordfish stocks are close to collapse in several parts of the world.
    Whoops! Tasted nice anyway.

Senior Member Aoife will become famous soon enoughAoife will become famous soon enough Aoife's Avatar

Yeah I like swordfish too (and tuna steaks).

Have Birds Eye launched a ethical/cheaper version of the fishfingers that are battered instead of breadcrumbedyet - cause I spend far too much on those fingers, and would swap to a cheaper one in an instant!

On the topic of what things taste like.... I had an ostritch steak the other night. It was nice, sort of textured like a good beef steak (served rare), but with a gamey taste like pidgeon or something. Yummy!
    Trespasser, Sussex University Fencing Club

A wild and crazy man Rdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud of Rdb811's Avatar

Had mahi mahi today - very nice - like a white tuna.

Originally posted by Aoife
    Yeah I like swordfish too (and tuna steaks).

Have Birds Eye launched a ethical/cheaper version of the fishfingers that are battered instead of breadcrumbedyet - cause I spend far too much on those fingers, and would swap to a cheaper one in an instant!
    I believe they make Hoki fish fingers. I am sure if you take a look at their website you will find the answer.
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

+ Reply to Thread